City of Hanford Passport Acceptance Facility

Important notice, December 2023:

Effective Monday, December 18, 2023, the U.S. Department of State is offering faster processing times (to those who apply on or after December 18th).

Routine service: 6-8 weeks
Expedited service: 2-3 weeks

The processing times only include the time the application is at one of the passport agencies or centers and do not include mailing times, which may vary across the country.

Helpful links:

Enroll in email updates about your application status
Current and previous processing times
Learn about what each status update means, and how to upgrade service

City of Hanford Passport Acceptance Facility

The City of Hanford accepts passport applications on behalf of the U.S. Department of State.

Applications are accepted by appointment only. To schedule an appointment please call (559) 585-2520 during normal business hours.

Appointments are available on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

The City of Hanford Passport Acceptance Facility is located at 319 North Douty Street in Hanford. Please use the Douty Street entrance and check in at the front counter.

Passport Forms
Passport Fees-2023 (PDF)
Department of State FAQs

A passport is international identification and proof of United States citizenship. A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave most foreign countries. A wallet-sized passport card is available for land and sea crossings between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean; but cannot be used for air travel.  

It is highly recommended that the latest information posted at is reviewed and an application is submitted several months in advance of international travel.  

A completed DS-11 passport application, an electronic version can be completed and printed from this website:

Applications are also available at the Administration office in City Hall. 

It is important that applicants read all sections of the DS-11 application. The application must be completed in BLACK ink.  Do not sign the application until instructed to do so by the City of Hanford acceptance agent! 

Proof of U.S. Citizenship, must be an original or certified, physical copy. A certified copy is any document that has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority. Examples include:

o    Full validity, undamaged U.S. passport (expired passports are accepted). Full validity means the document is/was valid for 10 years for adults and 5 years for children under 16.

o    U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements: 

o    Issued by the city, county, or state of birth

o    Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth

o    Lists your parent(s)' full names

o    Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)

o    Has the registrar's signature

o    Has the seal of the issuing authority

o    Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth

o    Certificate of Naturalization 

o    Certificate of Citizenship

Note: Copies can be made on site for 0.10 each (payable by cash or check/money order).

Proof of Identity, examples include:

o    Driver’s license (not temporary or learner’s permit);

o    DMV issued identification card; 

o    Previous or current U.S. Passport book/card;

o    Military identification

o    Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship

One passport photo taken less than six months ago. It must be 2-inch by 2-inch head and shoulders pictures, taken against a white/off-white background.  

Note:  Passport photo services are provided on site for $15.00 per applicant (payable by cash or check/money order).

Additional information regarding proof of citizenship, identity, the process for an applicant under the age of 16 as well as photograph criteria is further described on the pages attached to the DS-11 form or by visiting


Cash, check/money order for the Passport Execution Fee ($35.00 per applicant) made out to the City of Hanford.

A check or money order for the Application Fee (see attached to determine your total) made out to the U.S. Department of State. 

Applicants may renew their passport on their own if they can respond yes to ALL statements below:

I can submit my passport with my application.

It is not damaged (other than normal wear and tear).

I have never reported it lost or stolen.

It was issued within the last 15 years.

It was issued when I was age 16 or older.

It was issued in my current name, or I can provide another document such as a marriage certificate or divorce decree that is evidence of my name change.

It was not limited to less than the normal 10-year period of validity for an adult passport due to multiple passport thefts or losses, or due to issues with passport damage or mutilation.

Passports can be renewed by mail using DS-82 form located here:

To check the status of a passport application, call 1-877-487-2778;

or visit

More Passport Resources