Business License

Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday 8 am - 5 pm

Contact: or 559-585-2512

Business License Notice

If your account registration was done prior to June, 5, 2023 you will need to re-register your account by clicking on the SIGN UP option at the very bottom of the Self Service login page. For successful re-registration, you must use the same email address used in your initial account . We have preformed a system update which will allow for more secure communication between the City's system and the customer. This will also allow you to utilize single sign-on information via Google, Apple ID, Microsoft ID, Facebook, as well as email.  Please note, if signing in via a single-sign-on provider you will need to always utilize that method. 

Renewals please note: After January 1, 2024 a renewal button will be available in the "My Licenses" box on your portal dashboard. Please ensure that you log in to the online self service portal and submit the renewal application before January 31st, 2024 to avoid a late fee. Once you submit the renewal application, you will get an alert email within 2 weeks with the invoice which can be paid through the portal dashboard in the "My Invoices" box. The business day after you pay your invoice, go back to the portal and click in the "My Licenses" box on your business license link within that box which will take you to a page that has a printer icon so you can print your current business license.

Permits and Licenses Platform (EnerGov Self Service Portal)

Business License Application

To obtain a Business License for the City of Hanford you must register and submit an application on the self-service portal using the link above. Once reviewed you will be invoiced and will receive an email notification. The invoice will be in your portal for review. Once the invoice is paid (cash, check, credit card) your Business License will be issued and you will receive an email notification. You will be able to retrieve your Business License from the homepage dashboard on the portal under "My Licenses".


As of January 1, 2022, all business licenses are issued on an annual basis, (January-December). The license fee for your first year of business will be the minimum payment. For a retail-based business the fee is $20 (or $40 if the business is located in the improvement district). If your business is a sub-contractor - $40, General Contractor - $60, if professional or other set rate business we can determine the fee for you when you sign up for your business license. The payment due date is January 31st. For Gross Receipt category licenses, fees are based upon the previous annual gross receipts. A $100 late fee will be applied after the January 31 due date, but will be reduced to $50 if paid within five business days. See Master Fee Schedule for a complete list of fees.

New Business License Application Processing Fee - $40
Administrative Fee for Renewals - $10

Senate Bill 1186

On September 19, 2012 Governor Brown signed into law SB-1186 which added a state fee of $1 on any applicant for local business license or similar instrument or permit, or renewal thereof. This law was effective January 1, 2013. The purpose was to increase disability access and compliance with construction-related accessibility requirements and to develop educational resources for businesses in order to facilitate compliance with federal and state disability laws, as specified. Additionally, the fee assists local jurisdictions in supporting the Certified Access Specialist (CASp) program (/dsa/Programs/programCert/casp.aspx) and provides the Division of the State Architect (DSA) with funds to maintain oversight of the CASp program.

Senate Bill 1186 was amended as follows:

  • January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2023, a four-dollar ($4) additional fee to be paid by any applicant for a local business license, permit or similar instrument when it is issued or renewed.

Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies:

Certificate of Occupancy

Do you plan on renting a space for your business? If you are renting space in the city limits you will need a Certificate of Occupancy. The Certificate of Occupancy is reviewed and approved by a Planner and may contain additional conditions that the applicant must adhere to. Once the Certificate of Occupancy has been completed and approved a Business License can be applied for. Questions about Certificates of Occupancy can be directed to the Community Development Department at 559-585-2581. 

Home Occupation Permit 

Do you want to run a business out of your home? Before a Business License can be issued to residents wanting to establish a home business within the City of Hanford, a Home Occupation Permit must be obtained. A Home Occupation must be a home business that is incidental to and compatible with the adjacent residential uses. It represents a legal income-producing activity by the occupant of the dwelling. The Home Occupation must conform to the regulations listed in Hanford Municipal Code Chapter 17.40, which describes operating standards, prohibited home occupation uses, and whether a home occupation will be allowed upon approval of a conditional use permit. It also lists the reasons why a home occupation permit may be revoked.

The Home Occupation Permit is reviewed and approved by a Planner and may contain additional conditions that the applicant must adhere to. Once the Home Occupation Permit application has been completed and approved a Business License can be applied for.  Questions about Home Occupation Permits can be directed to the Community Development Department at 559-585-2581.

Additional Info for Businesses 

In addition to local requirements there are state licensing and permitting requirements that may be applicable to your business. Please review the following links in order to make sure you are in compliance.

  •  -The California Department of Tax and Fee Administration. Responsible for administering California sales and use, fuel, tobacco, alcohol and cannabis tax as well as a variety of other taxes and fees that fund specific state programs. This website has specific information about the each program administered, how to register for permits and licenses and how to file and report correctly. 
  • -The CalGold website is a comprehensive website that assists business owners in finding the appropriate permit information for their business. It also provides contact information for the various agencies that administer and issue permits, including those for cities, counties, and various other departments.